came across
「came across」意思是:「遇見」,例如:
We’ve just come across an old friend we haven’t seen for ages.(我們剛剛遇到一位許久不見的老朋友。)
By pure accident he had come across the very man who could solve the mystery.(純粹是意料之外,他遇到了可以解開這個謎團的人。)
You must have come across some real characters, working in the circus.(在馬戲團工作,你必定會遇到些有特色的人物。)
it matters
「it matters」是「這很要緊」,例如:
Honestly, I didn’t think it matters.(老實說,我本來不認為這有什麼重要。)
I know Charles doesn’t think this project is important, but it matters to me.(我知道查爾斯不重視這個項目,但對我來說很重要。)
It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.(一個人的出身並不重要,重要的是他們長大後成為什麼樣的人。)
make a difference
「make a difference」是「造成影響」,例如:
You can make a difference in your environment by recycling.(你可以經由回收改變周遭的環境。)
A few details will make a great difference to us.(一些小細節將對我們產生重大影響。)
This is why hard-working can make a difference.(這就是為什麼「勤奮」能有所作為的原因。)